- The City of Petal is located within the 50th fastest growing MSA in the nation.
- The City of Petal's population grew 74% from 1999-2011.
- The projected annual growth rate of 1.05%, from 2013-2018, is over double the state rate and about 1.5 times the national rate.
• Petal School District has an “A” rated school system
• The Petal community was recognized as the state's first certified Excel By 5 - early childhood community in 2007. A community-based coalition continues to work to insure that young children and their families have a coordinated system of support to ensure that all of Petal's children enter school healthy, happy and ready to succeed.
• The 3-D School is one of the nation’s only special purpose schools for children with dyslexia.
• The school district and the Excel By 5 coalition were recently one of 11 sites awarded funding to implement a pilot Pre-K program in the fall of 2014. These funds were allocated during the 2013 legislative session and represent the state's first funding for Pre-K.
• The City of Petal has a five year graduation rate of 82.1%
• Petal High School was recently rated as one of the top three high schools in the state by U.S. News and World Report.
Quality of Life
• Petal was recently named the Best Town in Mississippi for Young Families based on the quality of the public schools, cost of living, growth and prosperity, by NerdWallet.com
• Petal was named one of the 10 Best Cities in the state of Mississippi by Movoto’s Real Estate Blog.
• Sports Illustrated named Petal the "Sports Illustrated Sportstown for Mississippi" due to the city's exceptional Recreation Department. A variety of recreational opportunities are available year-round, including walking trails, golf courses, tennis courts, bowling & other team sports.